top of page
Douglas Theater 2.jpg
Doug.Thea.jpg
Doug.Thea-old.gif

Historic Preservation Study and Initial Stabilization of the Historic Douglass Theatre, Macon, GA.

douglass-theatre old.jpg

In the late 1970's, James E. Toth, Architect was commissioned by Mary Costello, then Community Development Director of the City of Macon under Mayor Buck Melton to conduct an initial Historic Preservation Study of the Historic Douglass Theatre, which was at one time, the premier Black Vaudeville and TOBA venue south of Atlanta.  James Toth developed a significant preservation study, documented the building and its history while also designing the first stabilization efforts for the historic building.   James conducted extensive documentation of the building, field measured conditions and conducted significant historical research on the building and Mr. Douglass.  Many building issues were stabilized on the interior and efforts stabilized the roof, windows and other building portions, preparing for future renovations.  Over 20 years passed until the building was finally renovated back to a fully functional theater by others.

The building was originally developed in 1911 by Mr. Charles Henry Douglass, a wealthy black business man and community leader and he ran the facility until his death in 1940 and his family continued to run the theater until 1970. During its heyday, it saw artist such as Otis Redding, Bessie Smith, James Brown and near its original closing, saw the early beginnings of Southern Rock with artist like the Allman Brothers Bank and other artist associated with Phil Walden, promoter and founder of Capricorn Records in Macon, GA.

Douglass_CharlesH.jpg

JAMES E. TOTH ARCHITECTURE

design, planning, consultation

Quality in Design since 1977 while Honoring God in our Profession

bottom of page